Hot new jewelled surfaces for stitch at Maidenhead

Layers of various weights of Vilene Spunbond zapped with a heat gun to create lovely lacy edges. Gold embossing powder was added for extra texture and flash!

I am very lucky to be able to lecture and deliver workshops on the processes and products I love. I know I get tired dashing about the country, but there are many worse ways to pay your mortgage.

 On Friday night I managed to find the hall where I was due to deliver my lecture having left all the paperwork, contact numbers and directions on top of the car and then driving off - aarrggHH!!! Luckily I had tapped the postcode into my Tomtom the day before just to check on the time it would take for me to get there. Phew! It was VERY lucky or I would have been in a pickle!!

Two layers of polyester organza that have been backed with Bondaweb, cut with a soldering iron and then ironed one on top of the other. 
Simple and beautiful.

The Windsor and Maidenhead group were very welcoming and my car was unloaded in record time, it was great to see so many familiar faces. Everything went well, all the display tables set up with my nid-noi.com products and my teaching samples and the data projector was talking to my laptop so all appeared to be going well - until I tried to get onto the second slide of my Powerpoint slide show. The screen froze and I eventually had to reboot my laptop. This is always a nightmare - what we all dread. It happened with the lecture last week in St Albans and I thought it was just a one off. The group were very patient while the laptop rebooted and all was well in the end but I did feel a tad unprofessional. Needless to say my little laptop will be off to see a nice IT man this week. It was suggested I may have too much on my desktop!!!! We will see . . . . 

 The group having fun playing with Bondaweb and other delights.

Painting the Bondaweb.

There were twelve in the group, it is my favourite number, small enough to get to see everyone and large enough for lots of fun. We were working with various weights of Vilene Spunbond, polyester organza and painted Bondaweb using heat guns and soldering irons to create fabulous edges. On this workshop we were using embossing powders as well as heat transfer foil for that extra flash.

A girl can never have enough tables - I had FOUR! Enough for all my products, samples and to demonstrate on. You know how I like to spread out . . . !

Polyester organza with Bondaweb ironed on the back then shapes have been cut out and then ironed onto more polyester organza.

 
Pre coloured CS500 Vilene Spunbond www.nid-noi.com
again with Bondaweb on the back, cut with a soldering iron and ironed onto black pelmet Vilene light. www.nid-noi.com/product

Ironing the painted Bondaweb onto various weights of Vilene Spunbond. 

Sue (the lady standing and leaning over the table) was a fantastic 'handmaiden', I had a wonderful lunch laid out for me and every time I turned round during the day there was a cup of coffee and a chocolate biscuit waiting for me. I was very spoilt!

Painted CS700 Vilene Spunbond decorated with painted Bondaweb and a strip of satin cut with a soldering iron.

More painted Vilene Spunbond decorated with painted Bondaweb and mica flakes that has been zapped with a heat gun to create the lacy edges.



One piece of CS800 (the heaviest) Vilene Spunbond, decorated with painted Bondaweb and gold embossing powder zapped with a heat gun to create holes and a fab edge.


A layered sample experimenting with embossing powders on the edges. We thought this was a bit heavy with just the two colours of embossing powder. It needs several tones to stop it looking so heavy - this is how we learn . . . .

A selection of samples using polyester organza decorated with painted Bondaweb, gilding flake and mica flakes.



We had a great day and some fabulous samples were created. Many thanks again to Sue for looking after me SO well.

*

I have a 'sorting out' week this week, re-ordering the Decovil light and Decovil 1 as I sold my entire stock of both over the weekend, I need to see my web developers about a few changes on nid-noi.com and I MUST sort out all my teaching boxes that are all over the house. Then I can enjoy getting ready for my Experimental Textiles group at the weekend. We will be making printing blocks from their designs and printing onto papers and fabrics. Yeehaa! I can't wait to see them (and their home work). If you haven't seen thier work from the first weekend - there a two albums on Facebook

It is very cold today - the heating is back on and it looks very dark outside - I had better go and unload the car before it rains AGAIN!

 x


Comments

Popular posts

Extreme Surfaces for Stitch - West Dean College July 17 - 20

Zap, Pow, Slash and Burn! Foredown Tower part the first

Hot Textiles at The Bridge, Brighton. 6th and 7th September

The Full Works - 2 day workshop, Solihull Embroiderers Guild 17th & 18th July

More prettys at Bobbys

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot Techniques for jewelled surfaces - part 2

Sussex Quilters - Tinkering with Tyvek workshop 5th June

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot techniques for jewelled surfaces part 3

Registering your interest in my online teaching . . .

Colouricious Textiles Holiday - Block Printing Jaipur. 20th - 30th September 2016