Spaces on workshops, a new 'shop' and the wonder of wool!

 Alpaca and silk tops with painted Bondaweb and layered newspaper ready to stitch.

 I hope you all enjoyed the Jubilee celebrations and that those of you that were involved in street parties didn't get washed away . .

It is wonderful to have a few days to just relax and let ideas arrive. When I was in Blenheim, New Zealand, for their Creative Fibre Festival I picked up some beautiful Alpaca and silk fibres and started to play with the fibres and painted Bondaweb unsupported - I don't mean me feeling lonely, I mean not on a background. Having started to stitch into the pieces I felt the need for some kind support but nothing too heavy that would detract from the beautiful fairy like qualities of the fibres . . . and low and behold I was asked to test a new self adhesive water-soluble product. It arrived this morning and is just the thing I needed and it washes away quickly with no residue - Fantastic. Once I get permission, I will let you all know the name of it.

 The fibres with painted Bondaweb and more fibres on the top.

As some of you will know I am trying to do less demanding workshops and not travel quite so much. To this end I have been thinking about running some workshops based around hand stitch - please note I have not used the word embroidery. I have been doing samples for a new workshop in Spain for Castanea castanea-craft-courses.com in March 2013. It is a great luxury to make time to sit and hand stitch. I just love holding my fabric/fibres in my hand and choosing where the next stitch will go. It is not something that can be rushed - you need to get into the 'zone'. This will be perfect for Spain, finding a shady corner to sit and stitch after a fabulous lunch.

 Painted Bondaweb decorated with foils and gilding flake and the beginnings of some stitch.

x

I now have an Esty shop. hotstuff123 It is something I have been meaning to do, and this week I had the time. I have a few of the pieces of jewellery I had left from my Antipodean travels and will be making more next week. There is a permanent link on the top left of the blog and on all my websites.

x


Spaces on workshops - 
The two new 1 day workshops at Foredown Tower that I had to cancel when I got shingles have been rescheduled and the students who had originally booked on the courses have had first refusal. There a few places left on each day.

'Bonded and bejewelled newspaper for stitch' - 
Foredown Tower, Foredown Road
Portslade,
Brighton

Tuesday July 3rd 
£10 
(subsidised by the Chris Field Fund)
or 
Tuesday July 10th
£35 
(still a very good deal)


I have also added a 3 day Summer School at Foredown Tower

 August 20th - 22nd
3 day workshop
'A new starting point'
A 3 day workshop discovering and developing the redemptive qualities of old newspapers. Create fascinating surfaces on which to print and stitch. Using painted Bondaweb and gilding flake we will explore the possibilities of layering textures to end up with firm pieces of work with the aid of iron-on interfacings that can be used to make boxes and vessels and demonstrate the striking contrasts of the media. Rich/poor and matt/shiny.
 £120

please phone 01273 42263 for more details

Please note that the workshop area is accessed by an outside fire escape style staircase - it is wide and very safe, but still outside!!!

I will add the workshops to my online diary and mention it in my newsletter tomorrow so you are getting a 'heads up'. Don't think about these workshops for too long - they filled up in a day last time.

x

Comments

Popular posts

Extreme Surfaces for Stitch - West Dean College July 17 - 20

Zap, Pow, Slash and Burn! Foredown Tower part the first

Hot Textiles at The Bridge, Brighton. 6th and 7th September

The Full Works - 2 day workshop, Solihull Embroiderers Guild 17th & 18th July

More prettys at Bobbys

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot Techniques for jewelled surfaces - part 2

Sussex Quilters - Tinkering with Tyvek workshop 5th June

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot techniques for jewelled surfaces part 3

Registering your interest in my online teaching . . .

Colouricious Textiles Holiday - Block Printing Jaipur. 20th - 30th September 2016