ExTex 2 - 4th weekend


 A a section of a fine interpretive stitch sample by Val.

 Last weekend was the 4th weekend of my Experimental Textiles course at The Old Needle Works in Redditch. The 4th weekend involves a large scale still life on the Saturday and then paper collage on the Sunday. Drawing, particularly in front of others tends to terrify most students but it is a very important part of the 'looking' process. 


But first we looked at the homework the group had done since we last met - They were to stitch into their 'spaces inbetween' samples. Stitching into paper can be a challenge - particularly if you are used to stitching into fabric.




The front can be fabulous -

. .  . .  but so can the back . . .

After discussing the homework, we launched into the still life that I had set up. I had asked the group to bring in 3 objects each to help supplement the arrangement I had created. The idea was to start with a 30 minute large scale painting and then move onto to pastels and pencils for more controlled and considered drawings. Sloshing paint about is always a good way to 'limber up' at the beginning of the session. I explained that I wanted strong lines and shapes, rather than anything particularly representationall.

 
 Barbara and Mary starting to draw.

This is a small selection of what was produced during the day.

 





On Sunday we got on with tearing up the loose paintings ready to piece and stitch them together.


Kat getting stuck in.


Here are the beginnings of a few of the collages . . .







As you can see - once these have been stitched they are going to be fabulous. 
This course is very close to my heart - well I suppose it would be wouldn't it? I wrote it. It involves all the very basic textile techniques that no one wants to do - so I make you!!!

I will be teaching this course on weekdays as well as weekends next year - there seems to be a lot of interest. I will be teaching one group on Thursdays and Fridays and one on weekends. I am also working on modules that can be taught as a distant learning course for my lovely ladies in the Antipodes.

The next courses will run from May 2014 to March 2015.

If any of you are interested you can have a look at the website - 
experimentaltextiles.com   if you have any questions you can email me on 
 info@kimthittichai.com.


*

I am a bit behind with the blog but will catch up over the coming week. I have the Art Van Go workshop to tell you about and am currently teaching at Denman College. So  . . . lots to tell.

The sun is shining and all is well with the world - I hope all is well with you too.
Have a great weekend.

x x x 
Hello Jill and Diana. 
Jill we need to have a chat at some stage - need your advice (again) x


Comments

  1. ...and here is a not-so-far-away antipode lady who is very much interested in an online course - if it should be happening one day. I love those photos which I am following regularly -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anneliese,
    Glad you enjoy looking at the pics - I hope to have the online course up and running by March next year - hopefully before. It will be non accredited. Does that make a difference? It's the work that is important - not the qualification.
    x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Kim. Just happened upon your blog. What a great class this is--I'd come any day of the week! Enjoyed seeing previous posts--your work is beautiful.
    best from Tunisia,
    nadia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts

Extreme Surfaces for Stitch - West Dean College July 17 - 20

Zap, Pow, Slash and Burn! Foredown Tower part the first

Hot Textiles at The Bridge, Brighton. 6th and 7th September

The Full Works - 2 day workshop, Solihull Embroiderers Guild 17th & 18th July

More prettys at Bobbys

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot Techniques for jewelled surfaces - part 2

Sussex Quilters - Tinkering with Tyvek workshop 5th June

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot techniques for jewelled surfaces part 3

Registering your interest in my online teaching . . .

Colouricious Textiles Holiday - Block Printing Jaipur. 20th - 30th September 2016