In the Garden

In the garden, a joint quilt by Wilma and Beth.

Well I'm here, though it is hard to believe, until I hear the call/croaks of the birds ans see all the beautiful flora and fauna. The flights were great, all on time with great service. I am starting to feel the right way up - though I am waking up as bright as a button at 3am. Hopefully that will get later as the days wear on.

I have just returned from seeing a fabulous and very colourful exhibition at The Q Gallery, Queanbeyan Performing Arts Centre.
The work is by Wilma Cawley and Beth Miller.

This is the first time I have posted the blog from my IPad. I am still learning how to use it, so please forgive the odd layout. I can't work out how to centre things. . . . . 

Over the last few days I have been ferried about by the wonderful Robyn Duncan who is my hostess while I am in Canberra. Nothing is too much trouble, we are having a great time. 

Robyn knows Wilma and was also keen to see the exhibition.
I met Wilma two years ago when she was a student on my course at Fibre Arts Ballarat, she was great fun and spent most of the class with one of the vessels she had made on her head!
When Willma heard I would be in Canberra she emailed to let me know that she would like to meet up and maybe I would like to see her work. I was delighted I could fit a visit in before I start teaching tomorrow.


Wilma's work . . . . . . .




Both Wilma and Beth were exhibiting quilts, but with very different styles. Wilma's work tends to be more 'free' -  no surprise there!!!! She has used appliqué, quilting and the use of the embellisher to great effect. All her work was finished with gorgeous hand stitch.  . .












Leading to Beth's work . . . . 





A fantastic use of colour, quiltIng and machine stitch.




It was great to see Wilma again and also Buffy who was also on my course two years ago who joined us at the exhibition and we all had a good catch up then went off for lunch together. It was wonderful not to have to rush about, just to take my time.

The exhibition is glorious - it really is like walking into a garden. If you are in the Canberra area, you must go and see it. The exhibition is on until April 12th. 

***

Robyn and I are off out to dinner tonight with friends I have met on Facebook, should be fun, we are going to the local Turkish restaurant.
Tomorrow I a
I am teaching a one day workshop - On the Surface. Watch this space . . . . . 

***

Hello, Jill, Diana . . . . .  And R.S. 

x x x

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts

Extreme Surfaces for Stitch - West Dean College July 17 - 20

Zap, Pow, Slash and Burn! Foredown Tower part the first

Hot Textiles at The Bridge, Brighton. 6th and 7th September

The Full Works - 2 day workshop, Solihull Embroiderers Guild 17th & 18th July

More prettys at Bobbys

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot Techniques for jewelled surfaces - part 2

Sussex Quilters - Tinkering with Tyvek workshop 5th June

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot techniques for jewelled surfaces part 3

Registering your interest in my online teaching . . .

Colouricious Textiles Holiday - Block Printing Jaipur. 20th - 30th September 2016