Experimental Textiles - weekend 5. Constructed Textiles. October 24th & 25th.

A section of a beautiful piece by Val from the ExTextra group.

I am nearly up to date with this blog now.
There are 2 'ExTex' groups running at the moment, the regular 9 weekend Experimental Textiles and a 5 weekend 'ExTeXtra'. ExTeXra is a continuation course for ex Experimental Textiles students.  My year runs from June to March. This is more of a mentoring group with the members developing their own work and style. The girls are doing so well, I am so proud of them. They will be exhibiting at the West Country Quilt and Textile Show - 12th - 14th November at The Exhibition and Conference Centre, UWE, Bristol.

I don't want to show complete images of the girls work, it's not really my place now - but here are a few tasters . . . .


 
 
 
 

The group have called themselves 'Out of Line'  and they will continue to exhibit as a group under this name.

Now back to Experimental Textiles - session 5. This weekend was devoted to looking at constructed textiles, felt, weave and knit. These basic processes are amongst the most exciting for textile art. As usual, I teach the basics, leaving the student to develop the process.


A selection of the felt the group made on the Saturday.


 
I love the little 'bowls'.

We looked at inlaying fabric and threads on the 'flat' felt samples.



On Sunday morning we had a brief session on needlefelting then we got on with the weaving. I love this session, using very simple cardboard looms,  you can create fabulous samples of delicious colour and texture.


  
 
Jackie working on her green weaving.


 
Catherine creating beautifulness.


 
Caroline's fabulous textures.


 
Trisha working with dyed string.


 
Some of Trisha's dyed string.


Nadine's beautiful blues.



 
Anna'a autumn look.

We also looked at knitting as a base for hand stitch and structure.
I love finger knitting, you can create wonderful rope like pieces. I was taught finger knitting by one of my students many years ago when I taught a special needs group while I was qualifying to be a teacher. I have never forgotten her.
The process has served me well over the years. 

The group had great fun with it . . .

 Jackie finger knitting and entire ball of 2 ply yarn.

 Then finger knitting what she had already finger knitted, it soon disappears.


 
Trisha had fun with multi coloured sari yarn.

Anna also chose a variegated yarn.


                            Just a few of Catherine's knitted samples.


We also played with knitting, I like a stitch that was taught to me as 'spider' knitting, I suspect that is not the correct name. You wrap the yarn an extra once or twice around the needles before you make a stitch. This gives you a very open, loopy piece of knitting that is great for stitching into . .


Some lovely, loopy samples.

We had a great weekend, an energetic Saturday making felt and more restful and sedate Sunday weaving and knitting. For homework, the group will be stitching into one or all of the samples they created. Watch this space, we have one more session this year, in November.

***

I am now in Ireland having a week or so off before the Dublin Knitting and Stitching Show. I have lot of thinking and catching up to do, plus the usual planning ahead. I will write a bit more about where I am staying next week.

Strandhill.

Have a great weekend.

x

Comments

Popular posts

Extreme Surfaces for Stitch - West Dean College July 17 - 20

Zap, Pow, Slash and Burn! Foredown Tower part the first

Hot Textiles at The Bridge, Brighton. 6th and 7th September

The Full Works - 2 day workshop, Solihull Embroiderers Guild 17th & 18th July

More prettys at Bobbys

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot Techniques for jewelled surfaces - part 2

Sussex Quilters - Tinkering with Tyvek workshop 5th June

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot techniques for jewelled surfaces part 3

Registering your interest in my online teaching . . .

Colouricious Textiles Holiday - Block Printing Jaipur. 20th - 30th September 2016